What is a 30-Second Commercial or Elevator Pitch?
Your 30-Second Commercial or Elevator Pitch is an introduction that is typically around 30-60 seconds and contains more about your background, qualifications, and skills. Ultimately, it is how you can quickly and concisely introduce yourself to a potential employer. A 30-second commercial is a personal blurb that sums up the “professional you” and can be delivered quickly.
What to Include in Your Commercial
- Academic Information
- Major/concentration, classification or graduation date, minor
- Relevant Experiences
- Jobs, internships, leadership, volunteering, shadowing, other involvement
- Job specific, transferable, technical, language
- Career goals/interests
- Relate this to the company or contact
How to Write Your Commercial
- For students and new graduates, include your name, your school, your degree and major.
- More experienced individuals may want to introduce themselves and then begin with the middle sentence.
- State your relevant experience.
- For example: your employer, role, the skills you used and developed, accomplishments and results you are proud of, and your future career goals.
- Briefly relay how your background might benefit the listener.
- Ask for their suggestions about who else you might speak with for advice regarding your career goals.
- For example, “Do you have any advice for me as I prepare for my career in (your field), or could you suggest someone else that I should contact?”