Information on Federal Job Searches
- The Key Word Search helps you narrow your search to only those positions that fit your expertise and experience. For example, if you type “electrical engineer,” then you will see only those jobs that match your description.
- The Location Search allows you to see jobs that are open in a specific place.
- Explore Hiring Paths allows you to select categories you may fall into, such as Open to the Public (never worked for the US gov), Veterans, National Guard and Reserves, Students and Recent Graduates, individuals with a disability, and Native Americans.
- Narrow your search by Salary Range and Pay Grade Range (GS) to help make sure that you don’t browse through jobs that are either above or below your level of expertise and education. If you have a bachelor’s degree, you should use the Pay Grade Range boxes and select GS-5 through GS-7. If you have a master’s degree, you should begin your search at the GS-9 level. If you’ve had an extensive work record, these guidelines may not be quite right. Keep searching with the Pay Grade Range until you find a level that you think best fits your education and experience.
- Once you’re happy with the way your search is set up, you select the “Save this search and email me jobs” link at the bottom of the page. To use this feature, you will be directed to create an account. Do so and also gain access to post your resume so employers can search for you as well.
- Go to makingthedifference.org to find more tips.
- Explore Opportunities shows positions in high demand.