Presenting Your References
During the job and internship process, typically, you will be asked to submit the names and contact information of at least three references. Here are a few key points to remember when choosing references and creating your references page:
- Create a separate reference page using the SAME heading as your resume and cover letter.
- List the following for each reference:
- Work Address
- Phone Number
- Try to stick with professional or academic references (faculty, administrators, advisors, current/former employers, coworkers, or team members) and only use personal references as a last resort.
- Choose a person who will be able to share informed and positive comments about your character, work ethic, and potential.
- ALWAYS ask permission before listing someone as a reference. Do so formally via e-mail and include your resume even if you discussed it in person.
- Always remember to send a thank-you note to your references and to keep them updated on your job search.
- Stay in touch! You never know when you might need their assistance again in the future.